The Michael’s Daughter Foundation proudly presents “Our Stories,” a transformative and immersive filmmaking workshop designed to empower students through the art of storytelling. This innovative program, spanning a semester, provides a unique platform for self-expression, creativity, and the development of valuable skills in filmmaking and storytelling.
“Our Stories” is carefully crafted to guide students through a comprehensive journey of creative exploration. The program unfolds over several weeks, each dedicated to honing specific aspects of the filmmaking process.
- Introduction to Storytelling Components and Filmmaking Basics:
- Students are introduced to the fundamental elements of storytelling and the basics of filmmaking, laying the groundwork for their creative endeavors.
- Scriptwriting and Narrative Development:
- The focus shifts to scriptwriting, where students learn the art of crafting compelling narratives. Emphasis is placed on developing engaging storylines that reflect their own experiences and perspectives.
- Voice-Over Acting Techniques:
- Guided by professional teaching artists, students delve into the world of voice-over acting. This phase equips them with the skills needed to bring their characters to life through effective and emotive voice work.
- Collaboration with Sound Technicians:
- In a unique collaboration with professional sound technicians during the eighth week, students learn the intricacies of recording voice-overs for their films. This hands-on experience elevates the production quality of their projects.
- Film Production and Collaboration with Professionals:
- The program reaches its peak as students work side by side with professional actors to bring their cinematic visions to life. This collaborative effort includes esteemed professionals such as Ed Quin, David Koechner, Ciera Payton, and Gustavo Ramirez.
- Puzzle Piece Project:
- Following the completion of filming, students engage in a meaningful large-scale puzzle piece project. Each piece represents a unique aspect of their individual stories, fostering a sense of unity and shared creativity.
- Red Carpet Screening Event:
- The climax of the program is a grand red carpet screening event held at a prestigious venue, such as The Miracle Theater. This event not only showcases the students’ remarkable films but also provides a platform for them to share their artistic achievements with a wider audience.
By the end of the “Our Stories” program, students will have created 3 – 5 short films. These films serve as tangible expressions of their creativity, personal growth, and newfound skills in storytelling and filmmaking.
“Our Stories” is more than a filmmaking workshop; it’s a journey of self-discovery and empowerment, where each student’s unique voice is celebrated, and creativity knows no bounds. As the program expands to new horizons in 2024, The Michael’s Daughter Foundation remains committed to fostering a legacy of storytelling that transcends barriers and inspires generations to come.
Check out the films from our 2023 Our Stories collaboration with GALS and Carson STEAM High School